Parque Benito Juarez, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

The park grounds were once full of plentiful orchards and vegetable plots thanks to the water coming down from El Chorro. Dr. Hernández Macías wanted San Miguel residents to have a place for recreation, and also wanted to create a "lung" for the city, and so over a period of 9 years, from 1895 to 1904, he bought the orchards one by one and put them together to create this park, an extraodinarily beautiful sight when it opened 100 years ago.

Specially chosen trees grew lush, pruned cedars and acacias graced the two original entrances on Diez de Sollano and Aldama (fomerly Calle de Hospital), lawns were dotted with calla lilies, and sculpted hedges lined the interior paths. The park also had two large cisterns, which would supply water in case El Chorro ran dry.

Where today we see basketball courts was once a field full of sunflowers, with an impressive fountain in the middle. Though that fountain is gone, other fountains have been preserved. These all have low walls, letting us see reflections on the water.

Information Source : Welcome Sanmiguel

The other interesting photos : Chichen-itza, Yucatan, Mexico
The other interesting photos : Panajachel, Guatemala