Church of the Immaculate Conception, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

The convent of this church, known as Las Monjas, was founded by Josefa Lina de la Canal y Hervas (1736-1770), the first-born of Manuel Tomas de la Canal (1701-1749).

From the very first day of the convent’s foundation to the inauguration of the actual structure, Maria Josefa de la Canal worked arduously to sustain the project that she herself created—both in terms of financing and religious pursuits. Maria Josefa passed away five years after the official opening, on August 9, 1770.

Initiated in 1755, the new convent took ten years to build, and upon completion, the nuns moved into their new home to commemorate the occasion on December 28, 1765. The church, however, remained unfinished, including the main towers, the bell tower and altars, which were completed during the first half of the 19th century.

Another important component that remained missing was the dome, and talented mason Zeferino Gutiérrez (also author of the Parroquia’s neo-Gothic façade) was called on to do the job. Assisted by the great Mexican artist popularly known as Dr. Atl, Gutiérrez found inspiration in the monumental church of Les Invalides in Paris.

Information source : Visit San Miguel

The other interesting photos : The beautiful church in Guanajuato, Mexico
The other interesting photos : Templo Expiatorio, Guadalajara, Mexico